Winter and Dry Skin

Saturday, July 11, 2015

For us in the southern hemisphere we are well and truly in the middle of our winter and boy has it been a cold one! (Antarctic Vortex anyone?). For a very long time it seemed like winter was coming (how can I not throw that in?) and I waited for it with anticipation. I had always thought of myself as a winter bunny, but now that it has arrived something has changed. I have always had oily/combination skin, dry skin was never a problem which I had to deal with. Maybe it's because I am slightly older, I don't know, but this winter my skin has been all sorts of flaky and dry! Not only has my skin been very dry, but my eyes have been suffering from the lack of humidity as well.

There is nothing worse than having dry eyes! A visit to the optometrist yielded the following information 1. I only partially close my eyes when I blink and 2. I don't blink enough. Artificial indoor heating does nothing to help the cause, in fact it is what has been contributing to my problems. Now we are only in the middle of winter but I have armed myself with a few items to help me get through the rest of the season.


Eucerin Skin Calming Daily Moisturising Creme
I have not let a day go by without using this cream in my arsenal against the winter dryness. It contains natural oatmeal and doesn't have a scent. I use this as my second layer of face product in my facial routine. I squeeze a reasonable amount into my palms and lather it about in my hands before applying it generously to my face. I then use any remaining amount to also moisturise my hands. The cream is a little on the thicker side, but it's not so thick that it doesn't absorb into the skin. It also contains glycerin which is an important humectant for keeping moisture levels up as it helps to hydrate the skin by actually attracting water and drawing it into the dermal layers (gotta love science!).



Josie Maran Argan oil
I got hooked onto this a few years ago when it was first released. So far it has been the best facial oil that has worked for me without breaking me out. It absorbs beautifully into the skin and is not at all too oily that you could get away with wearing it during the day. I however only use this at night when I want my skin to rejuvenate as much as it can during the sleeping hours.



Cli-mate air humidifier
This little contraption has honestly changed my life! (and it's so darn cute as well). Humidifiers help to add moisture to the air. Lower temperatures in winter and indoor heating bring humidity levels down and as a result can cause dry skin and other skin irritations. I like to add lavender oil to my humidifier so it creates this lovely scented mist. Humidifiers also help to relieve sinus symptoms associated with the cold/flu helping you get that very much needed night of sleep. I really do recommend giving humidifiers a go if you're suffering from dry skin or dry eye symptoms.

Now who is ready for some warmer weather?

R.Gx

Links!
Eucerin Skin Calming Daily Moisturising Creme
Josie Maran Argan Oil
Cli-mate Air Humidifier

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments. R.Gxo

 
site design by designer blogs